Saturday, February 28, 2009

30til30: Day 4

I have 30 days until I turn 30, so I thought I'd try to choose 30 moments that have helped shape who I am and want to be. Coming up with the list has been challenging...and enlightening. These are in no particular order.

4: Youth Ministry with Paula Watson.
Someone thought it would be a good idea to hire two twenty-something single girls to help with and then run a youth group. Talk about a risk! I, for one, am really grateful. Some of my favorite memories have Paula in them. This is why working with Paula was one of the best experiences of my life: 
  • We had a true partnership. Paula showed me, more than anyone else I've ever known, how to be a team player. We helped each other with everything. What she was bad at (pretty much nothing), I was good at and vice-versa. 
  • We had each other's backs. I can't even count the number of times we had to stand up for each other.
  • We had a blast. 90% of our work was an absolute joy. It says a lot when you want to go to work every day.
  • We were creative. There was innovation everywhere I looked. 
  • We gave each other grace and support through failures (with that much innovation, we had to!).
  • We ran. The pace we kept was insane, but awesome. 
  • We were friends. I can't even begin to explain the depth of friendship I experienced with Paula through our time in ministry together. It's unlike anything else I've ever experienced. She is one of the best friends I have ever had. We've loved each other deeply, hurt each other deeply, laughed together, cried together, but through it all God has truly remained faithful and sovereign over our relationship. He's known what was best, and it shows.
How it shaped me:
  • That time laid a foundation for my professional career in ministry. While I didn't feel a calling to youth ministry in particular, I knew I needed to be in ministry in some capacity.
  • I know that, for me, laughter breeds creativity. I try to laugh a lot.
  • Balance has become very important to me (God, family, friends, work, self, etc.).
  • I cling tightly to my friendships and treasure them as much as possible.

No comments: