Friday, February 20, 2009

Book Review: Killing Cockroaches by Tony Morgan

I’m going to be honest, I almost didn’t get past the first pages of this book. The Table of Contents scared me. It was very overwhelming…until I read Tony’s explanation. Killing Cockroaches reads more like a devotional than anything else, and that is ok by me!

Because I’m reading this book much like I would a devotional, I’m not done with it yet. I’m pacing myself and letting myself digest the information for a few days before moving on. I wanted to get a review up for Tony, though, so here I am.

There’s a neat feature in the book that I loved: “If You’re Curious About” (pg. x). This simple page got me to bust out laughing. In what other book would you see chapter titles like this on one page:
  • Why the book is titled Killing Cockroaches
  • What it takes to find Mr. (or Mrs.) Right
  • How to repair Mustang convertibles
  • The ten signs that you’re not a leader
  • Seth Godin’s thoughts on marketing and the church
  • The time I walked on water
You know what? I began my experience with those six sections. In my opinion, it’s a great way to start.

I love that this book doesn’t have to be read in order. With that said, my favorite statement is all the way on page 232: “Here’s my encouragement to you: Don’t condemn others because others are different than you. Don’t create division. Do what God tells you to do.” Amen, man. Amen.

If you’re a church leader in any capacity, pick up Killing Cockroaches. It’s incredible (so far). I also want to encourage anyone who works in church communications to read it. Tony is a master in this area, and it comes through over and over (so far). I love this book (so far).


Psst…Tony: I can’t wait to hold a real copy and make the cockroaches run! (Hm...I guess that works on two different levels, doesn't it?)


No comments: