Friday, February 22, 2008

THIS JUST IN

I think I finally understand and appreciate Photoshop.

(Please stop reading if you don't care about graphic design. This will bore you to death.)

I've never been a fan, mainly because I think people over-use it and also use it incorrectly. Adobe thought out their product line really well, and some people never make it past Photoshop. It's a tragedy. I mean, I get it. You only have a certain amount of money to spend...fine, get it...but don't spend five years with Photoshop without trying the other applications.

From Adobe:
  • Adobe® Illustrator® CS3 software allows you to create sophisticated artwork for virtually any medium. Industry-standard drawing tools, flexible color controls, and professional type controls help you capture your ideas and experiment freely, while timesaving features such as easier-to-access options let you work quickly and intuitively. Improved performance and tight integration with other Adobe applications also help you produce extraordinary graphics for print, web and interactive, and mobile and motion designs.
  • Explore more creative possibilities and experience new levels of productivity using Adobe® InDesign® CS3 page layout software. Built for demanding workflows, InDesign integrates smoothly with Adobe Photoshop®, Illustrator®, Acrobat®, InCopy®, and Dreamweaver® software; offers powerful features for creating richer, more complex documents; and reliably outputs pages to multiple media. With its sophisticated design features and enhanced productivity tools for streamlining repetitive tasks, InDesign CS3 lets you work faster and better than ever.
  • Adobe® Photoshop® CS3 software sucks.
In a nutshell:
  • Illustrator is for...ahem...illustrating (logo creation, drawing, etc).
  • InDesign is for page layouts (If you are stuck in the MS Publisher quagmire, this is the app for you. It's very close...but SOOO much better).
  • Photoshop is for, well, PHOTOS (if the base of your project relies on a picture, use it, but you would probably do well to use Illustrator in tandem, IMHO).
Until yesterday, I only used Photoshop to manipulate photos...and by manipulate, I mean play with the brightness/contrast. For some reason, I decided to embrace it for a huge project I'm working on (17 billboards that i THOUGHT were due today, but they aren't sue until MONDAY, grr). It really worked out well. I love the end results. And...gasp...I love layers.

Will I use Photoshop more? Probably. But, I will always consider it the cheap whore of Adobe's Creative Suite. My stubbornness alone will keep me from fully embracing it. Plus, I'm against prostitution...unless it gets you an iMac.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

the layers in CS3 have vastly improved and made manipulation so much easier ... i think that is probably helping. They were so frustrating before.

good post.

Anonymous said...

ooooo lets see if this works.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

hey, who you calling a cheap whore???

amy grace said...

ahah cheap whore...ummm yeah.

if i use anything it's illustrator, we did that in college for, yes, logos/layouts/etc.

umm yeah. but that makes sense..photo-shop...for photos.................... bye!

Unknown said...

ahhh. some of us poor folk are still stuck with having to manipulate photos in Microsoft Office Picture Manager (I might as well just use crayons) and P-U-B-L-I-S-H-E-R. Though I did find a copy of Photoshop 5.0 and FrontPage the other day. Though, I believe they require punch cards to operate...