Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A BIG Change

For those of you new to the saga, my youngest sister is currently incapable of making decisions that benefit her daughter, Candace. We have done a lot of research into our options including meetings with a lawyer and counsel from a worker at the Office of Children and Youth. The one sentence that impacted me the most during the whole process was, "Get her out of the environment." I stopped thinking about "process" and just took action. It really wasn't that complicated once I started truly focusing on Candace.

I'm semi-confident that this was a good move because it forced my sister into action. She is currently in counseling and going through the intake process with a wonderful organization here in Erie. If it all works out, it will benefit them both greatly. We'll see what happens, but I'm hopeful.

Dave and I have had Candace since 5/23 (we've had her almost every weekend since mid-February) and My mom has been watching her while we are working. We've decided to do this because we wanted to get her out of the questionable environment while Brandi is working with Erie DAWN. Once Brandi is confirmed for housing, Candace will go back with her full-time. In the meantime, we do our best to set up phone calls and visits between the two of them.

Obviously, this whole experience has changed our life (even in the short amount of time we've been doing it). It's a good change. I like having another person to focus on. It really puts things into perspective. She is still in complete need of us. I mean, sure, she can feed herself and climb stairs, but she definitely needs us. It's a great feeling to have maternal instincts kick into full gear. This time has confirmed (for me, at least) that my main job in life needs to be being a mom. It doesn't have to be today, but...it definitely has to be.

OK, so all of that to say:

I am pretty sure I have the best husband in the world.

It hasn't all been easy, and Dave has been a champ. It took us a long time to make this decision, but once we did it, he's been all in. I think he and Candace have really started to love each other. They do things that I don't get, like trying to join their fingers, E.T. style. And, for some reason, she insists on wiggling her butt and waving her hands behind him when he leaves the room. I don't get it, but I love it. Candace will probably never have a real father-figure, but for this time, she's building a foundation with Uncle Day. I think her relationship with him is going to be one of the most important as she grows up. He will most likely be the closest thing she ever has to a dad.

Thank you, Jesa, for Uncle Day.

danielledaveblurry

Thank you, Jesus, for my wonderful husband.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful. :-) (And, on a lighter note, everyone needs to stop posting all these things because my hormones cant take it! I cried while picking out birthday and wedding cards at hallmark today. and now this post. jeez, i need to invest in Kleenex!)

You're a great Aunt. And you'll be a great mom!

Diane Pauli said...

It's a powerful position to be in when God chooses to use you to change lives.

The faithfulness of you both is inspiring!

Unknown said...

:-)

amy grace said...

i agree with susan and rachel.

tears & smiles.

love you guys :)

the Jennings secede from the South said...

That is precious.

Blythe said...

Amazing. I'm humbled by your servant hearts and desire for health and healing. I'll be praying for you guys.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Bravo to you guys for stepping up to the plate. If only there were more people willing to take the reigns and change a childs life.

Kt said...

you guys are so cute...and have such big hearts...i want to give you hugs...


*hugs*