Friday, March 6, 2009

30til30: Day 10

I have 30 days until I turn 30, so I thought I'd try to choose 30 moments that have helped shape who I am and want to be. Coming up with the list has been challenging...and enlightening. These are in no particular order.

10: The first time I went to Insight.
When I was in high school (and for a few years after), Grace had a bi-weekly youth extravaganza called "Insight." Basically, it was a church service for teenagers...hundreds of teenagers. A lot of my friends were always there and one week, I gave in and went. I literally was never the same again. My most vivid memories from the first Insight I attended:
  • Feeling the presence of God in a corporate gathering for the very first time.
  • Looking around at my friends and thinking, "HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN ABOUT THIS?!"
  • Listening to Derek and thinking, "This guy is going to change Erie forever."
Memories from Insights over time:
  • What will happen next? (specifically, Matt Donovan biting into a huge head of lettuce)
  • Family Boxing Match (again, Donovan).
  • The Underpants Song. It was the beginning of the end.
  • The Golden Fish Award Ceremony.
  • Praying and commissioning Seniors to go out and be a light wherever they were heading.
  • Fashion. Through. the. Ages.
  • Amazing worship.
  • Life-changing talks from Derek.
How it shaped me:
  • I met Derek Sanford. For those of you who know him, that statement says it all.
  • Some of the most talented leaders at Grace (and in other churches) came through that ministry. I work and have worked with a bunch of them.
  • Through Insight, God placed a burden on my heart for using my creative gifts in ministry. Granted, the form of that creativity has changed over time, but it's always there in some form.

4 comments:

rachel said...

insight was truly something unique and never-replicated. i would give anything to just go back one time and experience another one.

jendakerr said...

I have heard so much about that ministry. I wish I could take 16 year old me back and check it out.

emily althof said...

my husband just became a youth pastor and i catch myself trying to figure out how derek and everyone were able to do insight so well. it was amazing and rachel's right unable to be replicated.

j*amy said...

oh yes. insight was awesome! i loved what will happen next...and underpants? oh my gosh. that was an experience.

love you!