Tuesday, March 24, 2009

30til30: Day 28

I have 30 days until I turn 30, so I thought I'd try to choose 30 moments that have helped shape who I am and want to be. Coming up with the list has been challenging...and enlightening. These final few ARE in a particular order.

28: Mom.


I can't even begin to explain the relationship I have with my Mom. I love it. She brings me so much joy. I think she loves ME too much, though. ;-)

Why I think my Mom is the best Mom:
  • She was 19 when I was born, 22(ish) when Amanda was born, and 24(ish) when Brandi was born. I'm 30 and can't imagine having one child, let alone THREE.
  • She had a really rough childhood. It's the stuff of movies. She came out of it determined to have a different life, and she does. 
  • She wasn't afraid to let us learn from our mistakes (SOME of us are still learning). ;-)
  • My mom has always put us first (by the way, Mom: it's time to put yourself first).
  • She is a great friend. Watching her with her friends is amazing. 
  • She's a gift giver. 
  • She's a social networking machine (FB, Flickr, TWITTER)
  • She is still married to and loves my Dad. 
  • Grandma is her middle name. I can't wait for my children to know her.
  • She is giving Emma and Candace the same love and support she gave my sisters and me.
  • She supports me no matter what. 
  • She listens to me.
  • She likes to talk to me and tell me about things. I think she trusts my judgment. 
  • Everyone who really knows her loves her. 
How she shaped me:
  • In every way possible.
  • I hope I care for people the way she cares for me.
  • If I need advice on raising my kids, I don't need to look any further than my own childhood.
Mom - 
I know that sometimes you feel like you failed as our Mom: you didn't. You made a commitment to give us a life that was better than yours. You did that and WAY more. I don't look at my childhood and ever think, "oh, I wish she would have..." My memories are full of love, caring, support and joy. You did that. You're the best Mother and friend anyone could have. I am who I am because you're my Mom.
I'm proud to tell people that you are my mom. I love you more than I could ever try to explain.
Love you,
Danielle
P.S. You and Dad are too young to be parents of a 30 year old.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's amazing.

aaron said...

she loves your friends too and let's them no it, that is big

Barb said...

Thank you, love you too (much) AND even more than that !!!!!xoxoxo